Progress: Fake rock work completed and circulation started
Quick little update. I have spent a few days completing the fake rockwork. The drylock is a fairly easy and low smell product to use. I used acrylic paints to tint it as the powder options didn't give me the look I was after. The drylock is only being applied to the waterfall area over the silicone base that I laid down
I did 4 coats of the base grey with no tinting color in semi-heavy coats.
I then mixed in about 2 ozs of black to about 2 cups of drylock to give me the dark tinted base coat. I did about 2 coats of this as the first coat missed some spots as I painted it at night under artificial lamps. Today I got around to trying some more artistic finishing using the dry-brush method. A friend of mine suggested to tint the water areas a light blue and the rock areas with greens and browns as rock have those colors. I am by far no artist and the cramped work space certainly made it challenging. For my first try I say I did alright. As the base of the paint is the drylock product I am under the impression I don't need to seal any of this as the drylock product itself is a 'waterproofer'.
One thing I would change is that I would spend a bit more time carving to look like riverside boulders rather than one large rock formation. For my first attempt I am content.
The other thing that I started to make this week are the external mounted circulation fans. I have a number of 2" PVC and ABS that I will use to create almost all of the circulation for the tank including one 'duct' to bring in and exhaust from outside the cabinet if things get too humid
Also this week I will be completing all of the silicone and coco fibre work for the background. I forgot to pick up some sphagnum, so will do that as I want to silicone it into some spots also.