Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 75G Tower Paludarium Build Log

Progress: Cabinet design and Background

Alright, so I have been busy with work so only have had a bit of time here and there to get things done. I added another cork tube to the tank after getting the tank up onto it's resting place and viewing it from my work desk, couch and kitchen table. Something just seemed to be missing from one spot. I now know I should have designed it more like a root structure than a tree structure (branches/roots coming down vs. branches going up)

One thing I am working on today is getting the coco background material ready for application. Bought a dried brick of it and for the life of me was trying to get it to work without having to soak it but it wasn't working. 4L of water later I had about a gallon worth of coco fibre. Got it layed out on a few baking sheets and have been baking now for almost 2 hours. I am baking at 300F and turning every 20 mins. I am terrified of it catching fire (my oven is sh**). My other contemplation right now is to apply it using either GE I Silicone or Gorilla Glue Original. AHHH, Decisions!

I have also been working towards finalizing the design for the cabinet that will surround the tank and house all the equipment etc. I should be able to house the small zoomed filter in back with all the hosing etc and have a compartment ontop for the electronics. I have not finalized what Lights I am using so the space ontop may become taller. For now I am showing the 2 switch panels and 2 fan controllers.

Let me know your thoughts with profile cutting the side panels to match it to where I would paint black on the tank to block the foam and cork, or if I should straight cut the wood and just leave it with the paint. My idea is my 2 cats will stand and scratch the black paint.

I saw these new Zoomed lights at Big Als this past week when I was taking in some fish I bred. It's a 24" fixture with sound effects. It's called ZooMed AquaEffects - Model 2.

I am not sold on them, just liked the idea if I ran 2. However have heard less than raving reviews of ZooMed lights in general. Spectral is still high on my list.