Dendroboard - View Single Post - P. terribilis “true golden”?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM

Default P. terribilis “true golden”?

I recently acquired 0.0.3 P. terribilis from a local reptile shop that had them labeled as Yellow P. terribilis. Before purchasing I had them hold them for two weeks to be sure they were feeding well and were not going to have any immediate issues. I also asked which breeder they came from. They were sourced from Houston Frogs. I contacted Houston Frogs to inquire more about the lineage of the frogs and to purchase a few more for the group. To my surprise they informed me that the froglets I purchased were actually “true golden” which immediately sparked a million questions from me. I will say they happily answered all of my questions. My first question was why are the froglets orange. The answer I revived was “they were selectively breed from orange terribilis that showed a more rose gold coloration” and as froglets they are orange and that the orange changes to a rose gold color as they mature. They are growing fast, eating dwarf white isopods, 1/8” crickets and hydei. The first photo below is the female breeder mine came from. The following two photos are of the actual froglets I have (please excuse the coco coir and spagnum on the Frogs. These were taken before I added the leaf litter in the grow out container). Just looking for opinions and thoughts on the situation. I would like to breed them in the future but also do not want to cross breed or continue a line that may not be idealistic.
Sorry for the long read, I just wanted to be sure all information was included. Thank you for your time and any input.