Progress: False Bottom
Finished constructing the false bottom. Used 3/4" PVC stand-offs and my hands regret doing the perimeter diffuser, all the cutting with snips and super-glueing (due to misplacing my tiny zip ties). Of course I found them after the fact so will be using them before the bottom soil cloth.
Speaking of, below is product I have used for raised plant beds to keep soil in and a bit of moisture in. Question Is:
Should I use this or should I be using something different? I fear that door screen may allow too fine of particulate to get through.
which I am sure is pretty obvious, is do I need to silicone the false bottom down if the standoffs are secured to the false bottom structure?
Next steps now are to get the holes for the bulkheads drilled. As mentioned, I will be using a canister filter as not a lot of filtration will be needed, but just some. I may be using a ZooMed 501 due to it's small footprint and ease for me to hide it behind the tank. One idea that came to mind was to have a valve and output under the false bottom as to be able to 'wash' out any accumulated dirt or detritus. I would be able to temp turn off the water feature and open the output to get full flow under the false bottom.
I am still debating on if I will treat or camouflage the vertical surface of the false bottom, or just build up the substrate. DSB's are typically used for aerobic/anaerobic bacteria, and this could be a great are for this (I would employ substrate from my cichlid tank to kick start the cycle)
It's slow progress, which is testing me, but I am looking to the end product.
Thanks for reading! Comments and suggestions welcome!