Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Re: 75G Tower Paludarium Build Log

Progress: False Bottom

Today's small progress was the start of the false bottom. I had mulled over many ideas before with keeping the water feature and false bottom components separate to avoid tannin leaching from the ABG mix I want to use, but with everything I am reading with the potential risks of the divider between the water and non-water areas failing at some point and the false bottom keeping the ABG off the bottom AND the current discussions about ABG alternatives, this is what I have so far:

The false bottom sits at 5.5" above the bottom glass. The shape of the land has been fine tuned a few times to get the right flow....still needs a little bit.

The recessed area between the 2 masses will have a 1/2" bulkhead as the input from a fog machine. It will be masked with a piece of driftwood also. The idea here is to make it look like fog coming out of a cave or tunnel. At the narrow point near the front I am thinking of having a mossy cork round bridge type thing. From that cork back, the water area will be a shallow 1/2"-1" and get deeper from there to the front glass.

3 more bulkheads will be installed on the rear coming from a canister filter. 1 will be the return TO the canister and a valve will split 2 feeds, 1 back directly to the pond, and 1 for a trickle waterfall/stream.

I still need to finish creating the PVC pipe standoffs (cut to 5.25" and channeled at bottom to ensure no stagnant water stays inside of them)

The perimeter of where you see the blue line will get pieces of the light diffuser as my plan here is to cut a long 5" piece and then torch it to bend it to the profile (similar to how you would heat and bend plexi/lexan)

______
Andrew