Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Default Re: whites tree frogs

I have no experience breeding White's, but I do breed some bread-and-butter herps (a few species of geckos) and some relative rarities (mountain kingsnakes, rosy boas). I've been producing about 75 animals a year. So here's my advice.

If you like the species, keep a few. If after a long time, you really like them and want to get ambitious, try your hand at breeding them. It helps if you have some money burning a hole in your pocket that you want to spend on frustrating yourself, and don't really care to make that money back anytime soon. (Only half joking...)

Consider your local market. There are a few more-or-less respected folks (and some who are quite respected) selling these online for very little money, and I'd buy online from them before buying from someone I never heard of before. You'll likely be good to have a couple local shops (not PetSmart...) to move the frogs through, too, as long as you've already established a good relationship with those shops (not always easy to do). You could vend at a show, if you have one near you -- that costs money and time and followup with people who bought a frog from you and it won't eat because they're keeping it in a bucket in the garage or whatever...

I don't think that 'breeding because there is a demand for it' is anything like a good reason. To be honest, if/when you get to the point in the hobby where you have a reasonable and informed desire to breed something, you'll already know (from the experience you've gathered by being involved in the hobby) whether you should or shouldn't breed them.

- Whitman