No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Backlit Background Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorology View Post
Good Afternoon,

So I recently re-did my chameleon's enclosure (it's a 3' by 3 ' by 18" Exo-Terra). I wanted a partially 3D background, but also wanted a skyline because chameleons live high up in trees and a dark cliff-face or tree type background didn't have the look I was going for.

What I ultimately ended up doing was going through some pictures I took in the cloud forest in Costa Rica, and pulling one that I took that had a large tree growing on the edge of a cliff and looked out for miles and miles over the rainforest. I then had it printed on backlit film that folks use for light up movie posters, built a 3D tree over the tree in the picture, and installed the whole thing. Overall, I am very satisfied.

However, I also built an LED apparatus to light the skyline, but I'm not completely satisfied with the effect. I think part of the reason it looks weird is because the tree-line lowest on the horizon ends up being lit brighter than the enclosure itself, and that looks weird (though it's perhaps hard to tell in photos). I may try to either dim the entire thing, or cut some film or butcher paper the shape of the tree-line to selectively dim that section, maintaining the brightness of the sky. There's also some minor adjustments I need to make, like putting something over the far left side where wires are visible (I'll probably just use black contact paper).

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Here are the pictures:

Backlight on:

Backlight apparatus visible:

Backlight off:

When I read this, I admit I was like "ouch, I am afraid to look"...but WHOA, I am amazed how really cool it looks!!!

I had a similar idea for ours, that I have not ruled out YET, but yours looks really cool.

I think the wax paper idea would work or maybe colored cellophane...honestly, I have no idea. I am sure you will make it work, you've done a great job so far.
I did see the comment about ventilation. Amazon has some really cool small pc fans that I am using for ventilation in a small greenhouse, really a grow tent with bromeliads in it...let me know and i will share the link.