Dendroboard - View Single Post - Bulkhead, slip or threaded?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Bulkhead, slip or threaded?

Jgrag had a great post with lots of wisdom behind it. Using a stand pipe with slits in the bottom with the stand pipe not being glued in is a great tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
I've never considered using pipe dope before for any of the animal applications that have arisen. Have you used pipe dope in an animal application? I've never used it because Teflon has worked just fine in every application I've used. Hand tighten in most applications. No need to crank on it. Cranking on it will damage the threads and thus the integrity of the joint/union of two pieces.

Also on a completely unrelated dart frog note, I reuse bulkheads a lot. Sometimes the gasket needs to be replaced, but that is it.

As far as pipe dope, think about this. It is used on all potable, drinking water. In the trades, I tend to use both teflon tape, 3 wraps total, and then just a bit of pipe dope. The combo prevents all leaks. But with our tanks not being pressurized like city water is it probably is not an issue. As far as reusing bulk heads, go for it. Replacing the gasket is cheap and easy. You could also just use silicone to replace the gasket.