Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 12:27 PM

Default 20g Classroom Tank

I recently posted a thread asking for donations for a classroom tank I'm construsting for an underprivileged elementary school in Iowa. This thread is about that tank, and I will follow up with images of the classroom and kids down the line once it's actually 'live', so to speak. (I actually have two classroom tanks that will be going into the school, but the other one was already completed.)

I didn't do a comprehensive build log, so there's just some basics, but it's something.

I'd like to thank DPfarr for donating all of the plants you'll see in the tank. You actually sent so many that I couldn't even fit them all in! I've got the rest in grow outs; maybe I'll build yet another classroom tank to house them! I'd also like to thank thedudeabides for his generous donation of isopods. Kurt from Spectral Designs donated one of his amazing light panels for this tank, which was a big blessing. If you haven't checked his stuff out yet, you should do so immediately. Last, and I don't know if she's on this board or not, but Lisa Ann Wolfe donated four Azureus froglets for the tank. At least one will have to be rehomed to avoid any aggression, but it was still extremely generous. She even paid for the shipping; what a saint!

The tank is a used 20g high that I picked up and that I drilled the tank for drainage. Just a simple 1/2" PVC with a cap. The bottom is Matala filter covered with fiberglass screen that I had leftover from another build. It's hard to see in this image, but the matala is cut at an angle to allow for a very shallow pool in the front right of the tank. The background is cork from Pangea Reptiles + Pond Spray foam, covered in silicone and EcoEarth.