Dendroboard - View Single Post - Bulkhead, slip or threaded?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Bulkhead, slip or threaded?

Be aware that taping/doping plastic threads is advised against by manufacturers. It makes it much easier to overtighten the fitting and split it. Yes, many/most people use tape or pipe dope. I do sometimes, too. Sometimes I use plumber's lubricant, too. Sometimes I split fittings. I'm kind of a lummox when I'm doing this sort of thing, though.

I usually use threaded bulkheads and fittings (lots of aquarium and swimming pool experience, but I don't put drains on my frog vivs). This is mostly for ease of installation. Threaded fittings can be tightened during installation, but when I blow my first try on slip fittings, it is a lot of work to redo it.

In reef tanks, I don't tend to reuse bulkheads; the washers need to be replaced anyway, and it is false economy, I think, to try to clean up a ~$10 bulkhead well enough that it seals, when even a slow leak could cost big$ in water damage. They likely won't get funked up too badly in a viv, though, so this worry might be misplaced here. Also, if you use slip fittings, you can cut out the bulkhead assembly and reuse it with a simple PVC coupling (less than a dollar), if you wanted to reuse the bulkhead.

Edit: Oh, this is for a paludarium, not a viv drain. I skimmed too quickly the first time through.

Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 10-20-2018 at 02:37 PM.