Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Intermedius Lines

Eric that is a great statement and I completely agree with it even though I don't even have frogs yet.

One worry I've had is the level of interbreeding that may weaken genetics in the frogs that have unknown origins. It would be great if there were a way to dna test them against known locality frogs. This would of course mean that someone would have had to have kept the frogs line bred the entire time or it would need to be original frogs. Now, I don't have much knowledge in the medical aspect of frogs so I don't know if it's possible to get a dna test without killing the frog which would not be a suggested method.

I also know that dna testing is extremely expensive but would also imagine that if indeed the animals being bred in the hobby and by TWI/ASN members are intended to go for a conservation effort that this would be worth raising money for. Not for "everyone's" frogs but a select few to get some ideas if we have some new blood to mix in that is the same species and morph.

That seems to be the only way this is going to be resolved unless someone can contact the european / scandanavian hobbyist and see if they have more data on the intermedius history. From what Tor said it sounds like there were a few different species / morphs imported and then lumped together which may mean that the genes are already soiled and not what you would naturally find which in my mind is very sadening.