Dendroboard - View Single Post - Questions about foam models as safe vivarium decorations
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 10:53 PM

Default Questions about foam models as safe vivarium decorations

I ditched the idea of making a castle out of miniature bricks and wood and mortar, because it just made a ton more sense to build it out of EPS foam, using a wood-burning tool to melt brick / stone patterns into it and then coat it with something.

My questions are:

1) Is there good information showing that EPS foam leaches harmful chemicals into water? Supposing I were building a paludarium, for instance, would a foam structure taint the water if it were partially submerged, whether or not it was sealed all around?
2) What kind of sealant / epoxy / paint / whatever can be used on the outside of a foam structure to protect it and keep the EPS foam from contacting water?Supposing that such a substance itself does not leach into the water.

I'm just playing around with ideas here; I haven't started working with the foam yet. I just want to make sure I won't be endangering animals if I decide to decorate their enclosures a little.