Dendroboard - View Single Post - 55 gallon Vivarium Build
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2018, 03:26 PM
AquaAurora's Avatar
AquaAurora AquaAurora is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: South East PA
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: 55 gallon Vivarium Build

[Not much new with the 55g but.. there's a little and some future plans rambling]
Still mulling over driftwood layout but #7 is the most likely one I'll go with.

Played musical furniture yesterday with my husband toggling tables around to put the 55g back on the taller platform it use to be on.. the one that is 1/2" too short in length and caused it to leek years back. But it'll only hold 2-4 gallons instead of 55 plus my husband put some scrap plywood under the tank to give it support. Slapped a green rubber mat on that then black table cloth to hide it all and finally the tank.
Also re-oriented the 55 so the drain pipe/access port is at the front right instead of back left. Thinking about plant layout, the left side will have much more substantial roots and be more likely to make it very difficult to open the access hole up if needed in the future.
When moving the tank one of the pvc pieces for the false bottom moved-apparently I forgot to silicone one, so fixed that and giving it a few days to cure.


Side note: anyone that uses silicone that doesn't come with a cap to seal it to keep it from solidifying I found a great way to keep it from hardening in the tube! After use stuff a screw in the opening and put it in a 1 gallon zipping storage bag. Zip it most of the way close then put out as much air as you can with your hands before fully sealing the bag shut. I use GE II doors and windows 100% silicone (clear) and have had an opened bottle (term?) for a month with no issue storing this way. Before this I'd have to cut off a new tip 1-2" down to get past hardened blob in nozzle, or stab at it with something narrow and sharp to try to break up the solidified silicone in the nozzle (not fun).


I'm waiting on some hygrolon to ship that I plan to use on the back wall of the tank-I'll likely buy black silicone to stick it on since I'd read others had silicone come through it that was visible.
Plan to grow Brazilian pennywort on the back wall and want it to have something to climb up. I'll cut the hygrolon to go down into the water table below the false bottom and likely cut out a narrow 'water fall' reservoir open to frogs (use a lot of gravel to keep it from being deep).
I found some black flexible tubing I may use to do a waterfall drip and get a tiny pump to put under the false bottom for some slow flow just so its not stagnate water that builds up bio-film (that oily looking thin layer on surface of non moving water). Will post photos as I work on it.

Rabbits foot fern is doing well but now I am leaning heavily towards emersed aquatic plants only so I think I may sell it-I've had it 20+ days now and its doing great.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.