Dendroboard - View Single Post - Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 05:20 AM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts
Default Re: Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
Could you elaborate on this, or direct me with a link to what sort of thing you are talking about? I am trying to picture such a system.
The simplest version of this is that there is a limit to how how the water in the false bottom can become before it automatically drains into a sump or other container for disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
EDIT: Also, regarding creating realistic rocks out of foam pieces, which sort of substance do you cover it with? I've tried Quickrete, and I didn't find that much good. I see the recommendation of Drylok, but I don't know which type to use.
Many institutions use a form of hard plaster over sculpted styrofoam to simulate rocks and other materials. These are typically then stained/painted and then sealed with epoxy.

Here is one method that resulted in an enclosure that is still up and running more than a decade later http://www.dendrobatidae.org/Portals...4223459371.pdf

some comments

Ed