Dendroboard - View Single Post - Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?

Thanks for information again, everyone. I don't know if my snake (pretty sure it's going to be my red-tail green rat snake) will necessarily be drinking the water that touches the island in the water layer; I'm not even sure if these will be true islands with mostly water underneath them or will have 90% sand (or some non-harmful substrate). But if there is a reasonable possibility that styrene will leach into water or elsewhere, I'll at least do some research on it. (EDIT: Just re-read and saw that you mentioned eggcrate in conjunction with styrofoam in order to interact with the water layer. My mistake.)

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for an infinitesimal chance of danger like that even if it did come true --- I am related to many veterinarians and even worked for two of them, and between them I could get some idea of what killed my pet, or if not from them, from an exotics vet they know. So I wouldn't spend sleepless nights not knowing.

I suppose I can get marine epoxy from a West Marine store and paint epoxy from a Sherwin-Williams?

And if I may ask, how do people make colors / textures like the terraria / paludaria in these photographs? Not that all of them are "island spire"-like textures, but they will all be helpful to me eventually (EDIT: changed most of them to attachments below):

Thanks again for your consideration.

25f9c172017ce1fced4a36618d7e8cea.jpg
91a5d6841cdc57e54fee6da514853200.jpg
fdf28aa5aae1b4fe01f508c6cc524b5b.jpg

EDIT: Last question for now: Can I just cover the entire eggcrate structure with spray foam and work it like a foam structure from there? It may be less work at this point and besides, I have a store of like 10-12 GS Pond & Waterfall canisters.

Last edited by Kinstrome; 04-30-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Missed details about eggcrate.