Dendroboard - View Single Post - Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?

Encyclia brings up a good point to consider. I have a few thoughts:

1) The studies concern styrene monomers and trimers - not the long chain polystyrenes of which styrofoam is built. Polystyrene is non-biodegradable but it can be degraded by sunlight. Even sunlight degradation, however, leads to small bits of polystyrene - not styrene itself. I think the concern over styrenes are more an issue of pollution from plastic manufacture rather than a problem with polystyrene itself. I will admit, however, that I have not found what I would consider to be "hard evidence" one way or the other.

2) Many things are made of polystyrene - including egg crate. Unless you are going with an all-natural materials viv (+ silicone and glass of course!), you may not be able to avoid polystyrene and concerns about leachates from plastics generally.

I feel a bit like someone telling a pregnant woman that smoking one cigarette isn't going to hurt her baby: A single cigarette won't hurt her baby, it's true - but what will she think of me if she her baby is born with a a birth defect after she has that one cigarette?