Dendroboard - View Single Post - Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Building a large spire out of blocks of eggcrate, what to do about the sides?

I've got a giant vivarium I'm making, not for frogs but I'm not certain which herp I'm going to put in it, either. Anyway, I'm planning to build an "island" in it, or two connected islands, and the frame of those islands is going to be made of several rectangular blocks of eggcrate covered in mosquito netting. They will be sort of built upon each other, so that they look sort of like this in the front view:

https://i.imgur.com/wQEviUy.jpg

And like this from an angle:

https://i.imgur.com/9jcCT6X.jpg

(Forgive the drawing quality, I am no drafter.)

I'm going to be decorating them with a lot of rocks and plants where there is horizontal space to set them, but as you can tell from the picture, this is a largely vertical structure. My question is: What do I do about the sheer vertical faces of this structure, when I can't set rocks or other stuff on them? Do I just GS the side of it and press a typical particle mix into silicone, or is there something I can do that will look more realistic and convincing than that? After all, if I just do that, it's just going to look like dirt walls along the sides... Is there some way to shape rocks and other debris into the side of the walls?

Thanks for your consideration. I'll supply a picture of one of the eggcrate blocks when I get a chance.