Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Re: My first Vivarium - 20 Gal Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
I'm glad to see another convert to the dart frog/vivarium addiction The unknown plant is a fittonia, very easy to find and very easy to grow. That really is a rip-off for the bromeliad. I got a very large fireball (probably twice that size) for $5 or $6 at repticon. This is a nice little starter tank, though you may want to increase the height of the drainage layer. Usually you want to have at least a quarter of an inch to half an inch between the top of the water in the drainage layer and the bottom of the soil. Otherwise, the soil might become a cesspool.

If you're interested in Tincs or Leucs, then 4 frogs do not need a tank NEARLY that large. I just set up a 24x18x36 which will house 4 Leucs, and that's even a little generous. For 4 Leucs or Tincs, I would go with a minimum of a 24x18x24 exo terra or zoo med. Keep in mind, though, that Leucs like to climb and will appreciate a taller tank with climbing options, while Tincs tend to stay at the bottom of the tank, and might appreciate even a 36" x 18" footprint tank.

Let us know how everything progresses, and if you have any specific questions. Also, the search button is very helpful for newbies, and oftentimes ignored and underestimated. Many questions have been answered 10+ times, if you can just find the threads.

I'm going to be redoing a few things on this tank. I am going to take the clay balls out and do the egg crate false bottom so I can raise it up more. I thought I had enough clay balls but once I put the substrate in, I was wrong.
I am going to putt out all substrate and have only unbleached paper towels in there for now....until I get my income tax check back and can afford a larger exo terra viv.

There is a NARBC show in my city this weekend so I will have the tank ready to quarentine some frogs. I would rather get 4 frogs for $80 at Josh's Frogs then to wait and buy them online for $40 ea + shipping.

I will have a week to tune in my temp and humidity. A friend gave me his old mist king setup that had 1 mister/pump etc. So that saved me at least $150 right there.