Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Exo Terra(s) progress report & lighting query

Thank you both!

Plants are a challenge, in that I like a little bit of everything that *might* work. And I realize that the plant mix will probably be a bit different between the two given the greater area of "dry" cork in the tree tank. The pockets of substrate would hopefully be suitable for some dwarf begonias, aroids, ferns (though I do have a few epiphytic ones I plan on trying on the background itself in either tank), gesneriads, Peperomias and who knows what else. I am going to try as many epiphytic things (orchids, moss, bromeliads, ferns, trailing Peperomias...) as I can on the cork itself, but for those things needing a bit more consistent root moisture I think the pockets are best. I'll just have to start experimenting to see what likes it and what doesn't. At least the humidity is still holding high without the addition of moisture since the substrate went in almost a week ago. That said, I probably need to get a fan in there to circulate things before it gets planted too heavily. Still trying to figure out the lighting augmentation first.

Yeah, the egg crate does look like it's part of the tank and I thought it might confuse some people. It's not - it's just an uncut piece being stored against the wall behind the plant stand that the tank is on. I have smaller a black piece of egg crate back there too (great find, that - black egg crate). The background is just foam with silicone and bedding topdress. In hindsight I probably should have siliconed the back glass first, but I didn't and we'll see how it holds up because I can't do anything about it now. So far, so good. I also like the idea people have had to use foam on the egg crate, so maybe in a future build I'll experiment with that.