Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:07 AM

Default Exo Terra(s) progress report & lighting query

Hey all,

Haven't posted progress report since the initial "greetings, this is me, this is what I'm doin' " post, so I figured it might be nice to show the tanks thus far. Progress, unfortunately, has been halting and slow due to wait times for various parts. Aaaaalmost ready for planting now, though! Last holdup is lighting. Long tank is awaiting a four-tube fixture of T5HO to replace the T12s currently above it (if for some reason they're still not bright enough, I'll move them to another shelf and go with LEDs); the tall tank is awaiting something to supplement the LED spots. The way the branches are situated, the spots are best suited to two corners so the base is adequately lit, leaving the topmost trunk and branches inadequately lit. I'm thinking a smallish LED flat fixture will be all it needs, but am unsure of which one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

For anyone curious, the hygrometers have been reading a steady 80-ish percent humidity in each since the rinsed substrate and drainage layers were put in. I have NEHerps' glass top inserts in each that leaves a gap for passive ventilation.

Also for anyone curious, my six-tube T5HO fixture that's residing in the top shelf of a mostly-enclosed plant stand has only raised the ambient temp. a few degrees during the day (same at night), which I'm happy to see. Since the four-tube fixture will generate less heat, and will be on a completely open plant stand, I'm not worried about the tank's temp. being too warm. (Each will be plants only, no animals.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank Exo Terra Medium Xtall 3.jpg (103.1 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg LED spotlight.jpg (95.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg tank Exo Terra Large Tall 7d.jpg (104.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg tank Exo Terra Large Tall 7h.jpg (100.0 KB, 150 views)