Dendroboard - View Single Post - Classroom 20 X-high Build Thread
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-04-2018, 02:22 AM
mpedersen's Avatar
mpedersen mpedersen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 86
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Filing in the foam in the gaps with an extended great stuff applicator

So this tank sat untouched until 1/20/2018, when I was finally ready to get back on it, mainly because the last of Renee's tadpoles from the classroom was finally morphing out...so I couldn't put this off much longer.

The problem was gaps between the foam and the glass, particularly down low where the foam had lifted with the cork as it all shifted and floated around while curing. But how do you get a can of greatstuff into the bottom of a 24" tall tank that has the footprint of a 10 gallon and a huge piece of spiderwood in the way?

Well, you don't. You extended the tube from the great stuff using vinyl tubing and Rescue Tape. I had tried this earlier with tubing I had on hand and duct tape and let me tell you, that leaked at the joint and was a disaster.

So here's what I used and how I built it:



FYI I don't recall the tubing size, sorry. I just took a can of Great Stuff to the tubing aisle at Menard's and found the closest, tightest fit.





Rescue Tape is this self-adheasive silicone type tape that can withstand water and high pressure applications; really cool thing I got years ago at a Reef Aquarium Conference. This stuff is years old, but didn't skip a beat.





And here is the extended applicator in action (kinda, I had to just rest it mid application to take photos, but you get the idea). No leaks at the joint this time! It was a bit odd to use because I think the foam would start setting up before it even made its way all the way through the roughly 3 feet of tubing I had. But it absolutely got the job done, and once I got to all the hard-to-reach gaps, I just cut the tubing off and used the rest of the can normally.





Filled in gaps around the ventilation assembly as well...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0259_1000w.jpg (83.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0266_1000w.jpg (65.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0268_1000w.jpg (93.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0270_1000w.jpg (82.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0274_1000w.jpg (88.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0275_1000w.jpg (98.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0277_1000w.jpg (97.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0296_1000w.jpg (95.2 KB, 107 views)
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.