Dendroboard - View Single Post - Classroom 20 X-high Build Thread
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 AM
mpedersen's Avatar
mpedersen mpedersen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 86
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Classroom 20 X-high Build Thread - Background, Step 1

Background, STEP 1

I decided to follow the advice given by NEHERP's guide to some extent, particularly after reading several accounts of folks who had foam coming off their glass. I want to build this to last, so I'm spending the time putting down silicone on the glass first.

I went with DAP 100% Silicone on the advice of my local herp shop who has been using it himself, cited others, and ultimately, saw no problems with it at all. I have to say, researching Silicone has been one of the more frustrating things in Vivarium construction, as many references say only "TYPE 1", while others say "TYPE II" is fine, so long as it's not explicitly mold-inhibitor laced (bathroom and tile type stuff). I should note that there are possibly some differences between the GE and DAP, including the amount of time they can withstand 100% immersion...and I think that detail is often being overlooked in the discussion. And then there's the aquarium-grade silicone at considerably more expense, but there may be times/applications where that makes the most sense.

For me, for this layer, it's going to be behind the foam. I suspect it's almost 100% irrelevant what type it is from a toxicity standpoint as it will be completely covered in the foam.

So here's the pix of the process (and a good shot of the broken panel which I first "patched" by siliconing a piece of glass to the exterior, then painting on the outside with flat black Rustoleum...my go-to for years now when painting a flat color background on aquariums).

For spreading the background, I just used my hand and nitrile gloves. I left it rough, thinking that texture can't hurt foam adhesion (and would in fact probably help).

I should note, for anyone wondering about quantity, during this session I did the 20 X-high (2 tens stacked basically, back and one end) and a 10 gallon I had around (back and both ends). By my math, that's roughly 480 square inches for the 10, and 720 for the panels done on the 20 x-h, and it took around 2 tubes to cover them. So I got maybe 600 square inches out of a tube, approximately. In case anyone else wants to know how much silicone they might need for this step. Again, just approximate numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0360_1000w.jpg (98.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0372_1000w.jpg (98.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0377_1000w.jpg (95.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0380_1000w.jpg (100.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0383_1000w.jpg (98.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0388_1000w.jpg (101.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0390_1000w.jpg (99.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0394_1000w.jpg (96.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by mpedersen; 10-17-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.