Dendroboard - View Single Post - How were these constructed?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Re: How were these constructed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwazarr View Post
OMG HX! That root system over rock wall is just completely SICK!!! You wouldn't mind telling us awe-stricken hobbyists a little more about how you made those roots would you?

Ross.
Thank you and thanks everyone for the kind words. The thing has not yet found a suitable terrarium. But it will.

As to how the bit is made, it's really pretty much explained in the fake rock -thread.

But for kicks, I'll try and explain it here. No photos, sorry. Just a list of steps I took.

For starters I had the rock-piece all done and wanted to try if I can make anything resembling (or faking it well enough) rooting of a tree or a bush or whatever.

1. I covered the rock with plastic film.
2. I made a rough network of basic structure of the rooting with a 1.5 mm stainless steel wire. There's some wire in every bit of the final rooting.
3. Sprayed the wiring with polyurethane foam. The first photo is of this step.
4. I shaped the foam after it had thoroughly hardened. A photo, also.
5. I took some 15 meters of string or thin rope, used for tiling to separate the tiles. Cut that to about 1 meter bits. Then I sunk them into a mixture of grout, water and - yes, you guessed it- acrylic polymere.
6. I took the strings and layed them on the "roots", lengthwise and irregularly. The reason for this step was really to strengthen the whole structure and while doing that, to get nice shapes that sorta resemble structure of worn out wood...
7.-9. Layers of grout (+polymere), brushed in with a paint brush. The color I used was a tone of gray. Middleish.
10. Final layer with a mixture of 1 part grout (gray made brownish with a dash of red grout), 1 part finely ground ReptiBark and again, a splash of polymere and water to get a nice, brushable mixture. Then some brushing with just water to get the proud parts to get some grayish tone to come up...

Gotta say I was surprised with the result myself.

Again, thanks for the upping words. I hope this helps and that someone is inspired.

And, an answer to someone's obvious question "why not use real wood instead of going through all this trouble?"

-'cause the mountain's there.

Thanks for looking and 'appy trails.

Last edited by HX; 09-24-2008 at 07:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HX For This Useful Post:
Adamrl018 (06-23-2011)