Dendroboard - View Single Post - The Importance of Letting Frogs be Frogs?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Re: The Importance of Letting Frogs be Frogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
I kinda get that, but have you tried capturing froglets from a established tank, in same cases its not that easy. in my vittatus tank I have let them do their thing and there are atleast 4 froglets running around, and next to impossible to catch them with out tearing the tank apart.

i know this isnt the point you are trying to make, but it is a pain to catch them sometimes
They are quick little buggers! To some level, it's species dependent. If you're dealing with frogs that use a terrestrial water body, it's easy enough to just put a cup in the substrate with some water; they'll deposit the tads as a group in it, then you can certainly pull them at that point, as the parental care part of it is done. I'm not an obligate keeper, but I was under the assumption that most obligate keepers left tads in their respective phytotelmes anyways, since it was easier to let the female drop feeder eggs for the larvae rather than try to come up with some alternative way to feed them. At that point, you do just have to snatch them up in the viv, but *most* obligates are kept in relatively small enclosures anyways. You're trading a couple months of feeding tads for the effort of trying to catch up froglets when the time is due.