No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Few beginner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburns
In my experience tincs are fairly easy to sex. Yes, you can't really hear their call but there are body shape features which help distinguish the sex. Case in point, males typically have larger front toe pads.
Nate, Not to start an argument or anything, but while toe pads are a good indicator of sex, they are not by any means a definitive for sexing frogs. In my years of experience with tincs, I have seen males with smaller toe pads than females, as well as females with large toe pads. Remember, you are an experienced frogger and probably know the subtle differences between males and females (other than toe pads) that a beginner will not. To be honest, I will not say that I know the sex of a frog 100% until I witness breeding behavior that would indicate such. Believe me, I have made this mistake in the past.
For example, do you think a beginner could say for sure the sex of this frog 100%? Could you? Sure, you probably have a good guess, but are you sure.......?

Chris