No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Few beginner questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger88
I would like a frog which is active, can be seen a lot of the time, doesn't have a call thats too loud (as in won't keep me awake every night like my green tree frogs), and i could have a go at breeding in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkromer
Most leucomelas and tinctorius are good "beginner" darts, but the leucs certainly have a loud call.
While D. leucomelas indeed have a loud call, they are diurnal frogs and sleep at night, so you won't have to worry about them keeping you awake. They will probably be asleep before you. :wink:
In addition, if you are thinking about breeding them, you want to be able to hear the call. It is helpful in identifying males and also alerts you as to when to watch the frogs behavior.

I would recommend either leucs or auratus for beginners if you are thinking of breeding them. Tincs are not very hard to keep, however in my experience, they are a bit harder to sex because you can't hear them call (at least all the morphs I've had). So you really need to constantly watch their behavior, and know what you are looking for.

Let us know what you decide, and welcome to the hobby.