Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Vivarium Design vol 1: Plant Selection

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate this post. There's always several questions I ask when buying or trading for a plant, but it's difficult to get them answered a lot of the time.

1. The growth habit, so I make sure I'm planting it somewhere where it's going to grow the direction it wants too and not get all leggy or weird. I've planted what I thought were hanging basket plants in the background only to see them grow upward towards the light.

2. Whether it likes to be planted epiphytically or in the substrate (sometimes I'll get mixed answers on this for the same plant, which is a real head scratcher).

3. How much air movement, light, and humidity does it like (and will it tolerate a range). I have my vivariums set up where there's a range of variables, like closer to the vents tends to have maximum air movement but lower humidity.

Those items will help me determine where to plant it. The only other thing I like to ask is how much it likes to be watered, and does it like water on it's leaves. You can usually tell if a plant is being over or underwatered but some plants are very tempermental about water on their leaves so that's something I really like to know ahead of time.

I'm not sure how far you are intending to build out this guide but just thought I'd mention the main variables I like to know about. As a person who likes a lot of information beforehand, it's annoying to me when I can't find the care info, guess wrong, the plant suffers, I get stressed out, then have to move it around and hope it doesn't die on me. I've been able to nurse almost all plants back to healthy but if you can start out with the proper care, it's so much nicer.

Thanks,
Thane
The Following User Says Thank You to thane For This Useful Post:
roxrgneiss (10-27-2016)