Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Crested Gecko Vivarium

Hey guys just wanted to give an update on the tank since I've moved to DE about a month ago and have settled in and done a ton of work to get this tank ready for my gecko.

Here's a quick video update of the tank on 06/11/2016.

Since the last update I've added a small Hydnophytum formicarum to the top front left side of the tank. Right above it are a Trichoglottis triflora and Octarrhena parvula, both of which are micro-orchids that I'm hoping will do well.

On the back right side of the tank is a big 4 year old Hydnophytum moseleyanum. Right in front of that is a Pachycentria glauca, and then in front of that is a Myrmephytum species, which is a very rare genus of ant plant.

Both of the Hydnophytums, the Pachycentria, and the Myrmephytum are all ant plants, which basically means they have hollow chambers inside of their tuberous like bases that provide homes for ants. In return the ants provide food for the plant via their waste.

Now here is the tank as of 06/16/2016.

In the back left of the tank in the substrate and in the net pot are a couple Spathiphyllum 'Petite'. I'm hoping this will grow in and fill in the majority of the back left of the tank. Immediately in front of them are a bunch of Fittonia albivenis. I absolutely love the foliage on these plants and I'm hoping they'll take root and really fill in this area nicely.

Lastly, on the front right side are three separate plants of Philodendron wend-imbe. There's two in the substrate, and one in a net pot on the background. I'm hoping they'll get nice and bushy and provide some really nice cover for my gecko in the future!

The only thing that you can't really notice without being told is all the ant plants are growing some really strong roots and the big H. moseleyanum in the back right is actually completely attached to the background now. I removed the wire and everything, its firmly attached and only took it about 2 weeks which is really amazing. It still has some roots that haven't hit the background yet but they're getting close. Hopefully everything else grows in nicely as well and I can get my gecko into this tank in the next month or two.

Hope ya'll enjoy the videos despite them being so short and that ya'll like the tank as much as I do. I really failed with the first one I built for my gecko over a year ago, which ultimately became a tank for my D. tinctorius trio, so I'm glad I was finally able to build something I'm satisfied with. Thanks for checking in!