Dendroboard - View Single Post - My Mixed Tank Vlog.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 PM

Default My Mixed Tank Vlog.

Hey All,

I mentioned that i had a mixed tank in a recent build thread and it stirred up some controversy. I figured i'd do a vlog documenting the progression of the tank and the behavior between the frogs.

Clifnotes:
*Its a 40g breeder , built horizontally.
*The tank has been up and running for a little over 3 years.
*The tank is planted fairly well (with 5 neoregelia broms that hold water really well).
*It has dripwall, and pond water feature.
*Lighting is a quad t5HO with four 6700k bulbs.
*All glass lid with three 3" vent holes added, covered in screen.
*2 feeding stations.
*75% of the floorspace is usable.
*All frogs are adult/adult size.
*All frogs supplemented with Rapashy Cal Plus and TincManHerp's cretinoid dust supplement.

This tank houses 0.0.2 Auratus "SuperBlue". No eggs or calling, but they are both about 9-10 months out of water. A 1.1.1 group of Varadero was added about 3-4 months ago. This was meant to be a temp tank for them while their permanent home was under construction. After 2 weeks there were at least 2 clutches of eggs and then transporting tads. I can see about 8-9 tads in broms. The main reason i left them was because they were breeding well and i didn't want to disrupt the tank , or leave tads stranded. They will now remain in this tank with the auratus.

I'll be posing videos of behavior and interactions between the frogs.

This is not meant to encourage anyone to mix their tanks. I'm just showing how this particular situation works for me .It may not work out later on down the road. If it takes a turn for the worst , i'll openly admit my wrongdoing.

You are welcome to comment with your questions and concerns, i just ask that you are respectful .

Anyway.. here are the first 2 videos.

Part 1: Shows how the tank is 90% of the time, all frogs are usually out and about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMmOtLo0cA

Part 2:Shows a slight disturbance twice a week for feeding, hand-misting and a quick clean of the front glass, if needed. Only one of the Varadero actively takes cover, all other frogs are very bold. Maybe i got lucky with this group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSu6ucaNm4

Enjoy. Sorry for the poor quality video. Was filmed with my iphone 5s. I'll have some better quality soon when i get my DSLR back from my brother.

Last edited by JonRich; 02-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.