Dendroboard - View Single Post - Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inka4040 View Post
I would say the vast majority of aquarium plants on the market are farmed. Maybe really niche stuff like bucephalandra and rare crypts still enter the trade from the wild, but for the most part wild plants don't often wind up in the hands of the end customer.

That depends on your definition of 'wild'.

Those 'farmed' plants are grown in massive outdoor ponds open to the elements. Maybe not in their native range but plenty wild if you consider all the access and exposure they have to wildlife.

I'm a south Florida guy. I've been to all the big suppliers in south Miami of various plants, both terrestrial and aquatic, and fish, both fresh and marine. There is nothing sterile or even secluded about where the stuff we buy comes from. It's honestly just not practical most of the time.

It all just seems to me like a nice illusion that 'farmed' or 'cultured' stuff is safer. It's honestly not from what I've seen.