Dendroboard - View Single Post - Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSpirit1185 View Post
Yeah but even still you can wind up with bugs and other nasties as you call it. Bleach still doesn't get rid of everything nor does boiling and baking. So even with taking extra steps you aren't guaranteed not to get pests. Like Doug aka Pumilo and others have discussed an autoclave is the only way to really take care of unwanted organisms. Those suckers are expensive
That page is just full of so much misinformation and they are putting people vivariums and animals at risk :/
Somehow I wound up with silver springtails in my big vetical vivarium and I didn't put them there lol Though I couldn't exactly boil and bake a piece of cyprus that is this big xD

Lukily it's just silver springs and not something really bad.
My 10 gallon viv wound up with snails somehow and somehow they all vanished, luckily.
I just wouldn't jeopardize my viv when I can just order some nice mosses and plants that will do well in my vivariums.
They are also telling people that they can go out and collect wild springtails and isopods for their vivs in their own back yards or closest wooded area
There are microorganisms that can survive being dunked in bleach?! What types of microorganisms can survive that harsh of a substance?