Dendroboard - View Single Post - Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Harvesting wild mosses and plants. Bringing in unwanted pests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I think grow out tanks really help. So many institutions do this in a sense - for example, many laboratories that produce strains of mice for research entirely rederive strains they acquire from elsewhere. It significantly reduces any biosecurity threat to their own population.

The same can be said for most plants (I guess you can't really rederive a piece of wood lol), where step one is to treat, then place in a grow out plant only tank. Take a culture from there, treat, and grow it out again. And repeat as many times as you want.

Unfortunately most people aren't willing to put in the time to do that. :/

The whole "bioactive" push in the hobby lately gives me a headache. Most don't seem to really have any concept of what bioactivity (in science) even means.
Yeah there is definitely a process but the group leaders aren't even teaching people how to go about it the right way they are saying it's ok to but the items straight into the vivarium.
I agree people just don't know what bioactivity even really means.
I really wish these groups weren't even allowed to operate and spread such misinformation.