Dendroboard - View Single Post - Silicone vs. Titebond background adhesion methods. My review.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Silicone vs. Titebond background adhesion methods. My review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogTim View Post
I use a pre-cut "cork tile" or "forest tile" and construct most of the background on that before even putting it into the vivarium. Helps with the weird angles in trying to cover the bottom of an overhanging ledge or something with silicone and substrate.

I'm contemplating using some cork tiles on my next background. I stayed away from it because I like the 3D shape of the GS backgrounds. Cork tiles seem too flat and unnatural to me. Do you have pics of your tanks with the cork tiles?

I agree GS is more work and mess with the carving stage. But as you do more and more tanks, you get a good feel of how much GS to lay down. You can almost guess how much it will expand in the end. In the beginning tho, you usually put way to much. Carving more than 50% off. It is a waste of foam, but it's all part of learning.