Dendroboard - View Single Post - 72G Bowfront Paludarium Build
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 AM
thahemp thahemp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 72G Bowfront Paludarium Build

I have been mining this board for info. for the last couple months as I build my first paludarium. It has really been a great experience so far. Time for a build thread.

I started out with a rough plan for this build. That all went out the window little by little as reality took over. There was so much that I was unaware of prior to starting construction. Rather than fight it, I just let the tank lead me as I went.

In the beginning...

I coated the back and sides with silicone. I also used egg crate to make a hidden area in the corner for the input to my XP-S canister filter.
00-tank_siliconed.jpg

I tried to mock up the pieces I planned to work with. I actually liked this layout, but it wasn't meant to be.
01-initial_mockup.jpg

Once I started spraying GS, all my planning went out the window. This is where it turned from engineering project to more of an art project. Great stuff is a whole lot easier to work with than I thought it would be.
02-first_foam.jpg

03-more-foam.jpg

I decided to scrap my old idea for two false bottoms on PVC pillars and replace one land area with a large double pool waterfall. That's a lot of foam.
04-foam_for_waterfall.jpg

The carving begins. I used a power vibrating tool with a flat blade to carve most of the foam. Just a regular pocket knife for everything I couldn't reach with the power tool. I also had a bunch of sanding pads for the vibrating tool. Those came in handy as well.
05-rough_cut_waterfall.jpg

06-rough_cut_tank.jpg

I sprayed too much foam at once in the thicker spots. It left parts that didn't cure out until I started cutting and punched an air hole. There were several rounds of patching with more GS, recarving, etc. Eventually I got to where it was time to start sealing.

I did one coat of drylok, then went over the whole tank with clear, paintable silicone and filled in all the little air bubble holes in the foam. Then I did another coat of drylok. I mixed a little bit of dry moss into the drylok to give a bit of texture.

This pic is between drylok coats. You can see how bad my air pocket holes were.
07-drylok_first_coat.jpg

I smeared black silicone in the water-holding areas of both of my waterfall pools, then covered them in black aquarium gravel. Nearly time for water testing!
08-pools_finished.jpg

I mixed 30lbs of red flourite and about 25lbs of coarse river gravel in this pic. The tank holds water and the water feature works as expected. First try! Beginner's luck I bet.
09-water_test.jpg

This is the last pic I can attach to this first post. Just a pic of the same configuration under the blue "night" LEDs.
10-blue_light_test.jpg
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.