Dendroboard banner

Histrionics Bullseye

8K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  HistoCrazy 
#1 ·
Wanted to share a good shot I was able to get today of my male Bullseye calling. Sorry for the I phone quality picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
There has been a sudden influx of pictures of these on the web and available for sale, now that the Tesoros frogs are here. Until now, people who kept these frogs kept mostly in the shadows, as bringing them out in the open would only mean that they would be peppered with questions and requests for froglets. But now, these gray area frogs will have to compete with Bullseye's that have been responsibly bred and legally imported. The owners of these gray area frogs will now be more likely to show off their frogs, knowing that the Tesoros line frogs will be more desirable than their own.

#20 ·
Why are you giving people a hard time?

These frogs def came in during the 90s. Hell, Jerry Walls even mentions their imports in his dart frog books. Chill out please.

That's not a document, it's spreadsheet.

Yes, I have been told that frogs did sometimes come in as "filler" from some ornamental fish shipments.

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah, Doug. Dig around here: https://www.cites.org/eng/disc/text.php

Key: http://trade.cites.org/cites_trade_guidelines/en-CITES_Trade_Database_Guide.pdf

Basically, the "large" obligates came in with an undeclared purpose and came from an unknown source. The arborea and granulifera were confiscated specimens.

Edit: Eric, I didn't post the picture, but I've happily made the link to it's source available for all to see. Before you make snarky comments perhaps you should actually read the thread. Large obligates came into the US quite often in the 90s with CITES paperwork from the country of origin, not a country in EU where they could get washed. This is not new information. I can 100% guarantee that some of these animals (or their offspring) are still around. Does that mean that every old line bullseye, etc. came in this way? No, but some did.

#25 ·
Yeah, Doug. Dig around here: https://www.cites.org/eng/disc/text.php

Key: http://trade.cites.org/cites_trade_guidelines/en-CITES_Trade_Database_Guide.pdf

Basically, the "large" obligates came in with an undeclared purpose and came from an unknown source. The arborea and granulifera were confiscated specimens.
d.
I'm well aware of the cites database. I'd like to see the full version of the doc previously posted above. It is essentially useless in that abbreviated form. There are many many was to sort the cites data.

#35 · (Edited)
Since the OP's beautiful animal and thread have already been hijacked, derailed, and buried by a page of entirely unrelated opinions.....

let me preface the rest of this post by saying my negative opinion on animal smugglers can not be accurately described here as if would include MANY obscenities and require emotion I am unable to put into words!

Here, in the USA, we are ALL innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and by a jury of our peers. Save the comments for people who deserve it like a certain unmentionable place that has sickly reptiles! :)

Most everything that is desirable and that has less supply than demand, will have a "gray Area". even flat out Black Market area, counterpart to it's legal cousin. In fact, I don't even think having a "gray area" (insert anything here) is even illegal.

Second, we all violated the sites TOS (yes, myself and a Mod included :) ). Read the notice up top? Had this been a "can anyone tell me if this is a legal animal" thread, none of this would be so blatantly off topic. Another thread should have been started with a link to this one. Out of respect for this fact and the OP, I have posted his photo below.

Technicalities aside: Throwing a stone then saying that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and admitting you live in a glass house is the exact same thing offending someone and then saying no offense. It is only self serving and doesn't magically reverse the damage. The damage is an interpretation of your comment by the person you used it on. And, please see our glorious friends at Webster, here: definition of the word document to see how amazingly wrong the comment about that snippet not being a document is! Of course, it isn't a legal document but, a document it most certainly is.

Wanted to share a good shot I was able to get today of my male Bullseye calling. Sorry for the I phone quality picture.

#39 ·
There are some huge threads on this topic involving those large obligates that covered all kinds of aspects including the numbers exported after they became listed in CITES. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/54899-would-you-buy-wc-lehmanni.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/54624-illegal-frogs-forum.html

One of the things people forget is that these frogs were only added to CITES class II in 1987. There wasn't any need to record the number transacted before that year. In addition, people have to remember that there have been multiple exports under the name of "Dendrobates". At that time, they were classified as Dendrobates so that has to also be understood.

I suggest people wanting to add to the illegal etc discussion move it to the first behemoth thread linked above.

Some comments

Ed

#41 ·
I'd like to say what a beautiful photo. These frogs are such a treasure to this world. I'm very happy to see that these guys went to some good caring homes. What a bunch of cool colors too. Is it too soon to ask if their is any variation within the color schemes of these different strains? I mean, has anybody ever known of a red bullseye having offspring that were yellow, cream, blue or vise versa? Just something I was pondering these past several days. Now, let see some more photographs!

-Drew

#44 ·
I see, thanks for the explanation Spaff. Such cool frogs. I still want to watch that documentary about these guys. I find them to be so fascinating!

Cheers,

-Drew

Is the documentary available on Netflix or do you know the title? If it's posted previously excuse my not searching I'm at work... Supposed to be working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.