Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Red face Cooler temp Vivarium plants advice needed

First i want to say that I'm new Here and that this is an awesomely informative website :-) also, Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

Also, I realize my habitat isn't for frogs. But The enclosures that you guys build are Insane!! So I figured you guys would be my best source of help, inspiration and information! So please don't hate me for asking
So I recently (over the past 6-7months) built my first 55 gal Viv, done with great stuff foam, sand, paint and resin. It's been cycling for about a month, with another 2weeks to go. My problem is, is that this is a cooler temperature set up. I will be keeping Axolotls in it, so my water temps must stay around 65-68*, so the water will be chilled. The ambient air would be around 70* in the winter time, and up to 90* in the summer, with humidity levels being low. However, if I need to add a misting setup, I will do so. I already have plants in the aquatic section, so that issue is solved. But I need above ground plants. I would like a variety of plants, But again, I'm not sure of what I can use.

Right now I have your basics: aquatic parrot feathers, clover fern, Dwarf water lettuce, salvinia, azzola, marginal/terrestrialspider plants, Kennilworth ivy and Lysimachia nummularia (aquatic and terrestrial) I only used the scientific on the last one because it goes by so many other names by state/locality.

Btw, I have hard water with high mineral saturation. The ph generally runs around 7.9 out of the tap, and 7.5-6 aged. So I assume any plants I could use would have to be tolerant of such a high ph. I can lower my ph, but because of the Axolotls, I wouldn't want to go below 7. honestly, I'd like to keep it at its already 7.5

The lighting is low tech. 2, T8 full spectrum bulbs. So far none of the plants I have are "stretching" towards the light.

I intend to leave ALL tannins in the water to help defuse some of the light that breaks through the surface plants. So far tannins have not reduce Ph.

I have wall planters as well as marginal areas of the Viv
There are also soft foam areas on the side walls to pin/place things like air plants. But to be honest, I'd really like a natural pond look.

please let me know if pictures of the Viv would help :-)

Any and ALL advice will be greatly appreciated :-) I'd like to get the Viv finished befor I put the Axolotls in next month
Thanks in advance
Victoria