Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Water Condition Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Aaron View Post
I think that the link that JP provided about also contained a link that had your answer from Ed.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beg...tml#post614941

I understand what you are asking, but given this information, I do not see any reason why you would want to add anything to your water if your frogs are healthy. The only exception being a solution such as amphibian ringers given under a vets care for a sick frog. Thoughts?

The links did not really answer any of my questions. It told me what some other people do, but did not answer my questions. The link that you have posted tells me that the frogs can adapt to mineral deficient water or water with too many minerals, but does not tell me what the ideal water conditions would be, which is what I'm looking for. It does make me further believe though, that frogs would do better in water that does have some minerals in it (because it talks about the salamanders having to re-absorb the minerals lost in mineral deficient water), but I am still left not knowing how much to add. So while it has been somewhat helpful and I do appreciate your responses and your effort in trying to help me, to be accurate, no, it has not really answered my questions.

To answer your question.
I'm sure they would survive in just regular R/O or distilled water. They clearly get enough minerals to at least sustain them from their food and can obviously survive on that. But if I could help them do better and be healthier, and possibly live longer and have better immune systems by adding minerals to the water that they will absorb, then I would rather do that than give them just plain R/O or distilled water.
So that is why I want to add minerals and am trying to figure out what to add. And I feel like certain answers that I want are difficult to find because of lack of knowledge. Which is completely understandable because why would there have ever been research conducted about whether or not added minerals in the water would be beneficial to dart frogs, and if so how much? I can't think of a reason why research would be funded for that, and it likely hasn't been, which would explain why I can't seem to find definite answers to my questions.
So I'm basically hoping that someone who has had dart frogs for a long time and has gotten curious about this and tried it will respond telling about any differences, if any, they noticed between frogs with out added minerals in the water and frogs with minerals in the water.
I'm just being thorough. That's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by Lizzz; 04-30-2015 at 12:33 AM.