Dendroboard - View Single Post - Beginner Frog FAQ!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Freezing Vitamens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minois
I am currently freezing my dry media and vitamins. My neighbor said that would increase the life of the vitamins. Is this correct? I made 8 MONTHS worth of dry media so it seems like a waste to dump it if it goes bad. How do I check if something went bad? Is it like milk where it seems funky? I mean, my dry media seems bad already, will it turn like, good smelling when it decays? He he...
I'm not sure about freezing. Freezing can destroy the structure of some molecules but can't speak to how it affects vitamins. In theory, refrigeration can either extend, or shorten the life of your supplements. The main problem with refrigeration (and freezing) is that when you open the supplements, moisture condenses on them which will cause them to go bad in a hurry. The best storage is in a cool, dark, and dry place because high temperature, light, and moisture will all shorten the shelf life. I live in a very dry climate so I do store my supplements in the refrigerator as there is not enough humidity to reach dew point when I open the container. But in a humid climate, it could be an issue. This may be overkill, but I would say that if moisture condenses on a glass of cold water set in the room where supplements are handled, then take the supplements out of the fridge and store them someplace cool, but not cold.

Unless you supplements mold, you won't be able to tell when they have gone bad. Not all of the compounds in the supplement go bad, and the ones that do, won't all go bad at once. But trying to save a couple bucks using up all the vitamin powder is not worth finding an $80 frog qivering on the ground unable to eat or move because the vitamin A or D3 in the supplements has gone bad. Just pitch the vitamins when they pass their expiration date regardless of how they are stored.

Fruit fly media is a different story. Although the vitamins in the media are subject to the same issues as supplements, the consequences of their going bad are not as severe and you can always add a little nutritional boost at the time you mix it. Eight months storage should not be a problem. I typically buy new media only once a year.