Dendroboard banner

Questions (Please help)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Dartluv 
#1 ·
Hi, well im a total noob at this dart fog thing so these questions are to be quite basic, but please keep in mind everyone starts a noob and im sure when you people started basic things seemed confusein to you also.
1) What kind of heater is best to use? A normal aquarium one?
2) I have read i wont need a fogger, is this true?
3) Are normal aquariums O.k, just without the filter and stuff?
4) Im sorry i know i've posted about pools before, but im really rather confused still... could i use a cardboard egg crate which is sutiable for say 6 eggs? Is that big enough? How do you water proof it?
5) I want to keep E Anthyis, (Santa Isabel) how many could i keep in a tank my size?

Thanks, James

Moved from General by MJ

#2 ·
1) What kind of heater is best to use? A normal aquarium one?

Aquarium heaters heat water. If you are going to need a heater, I suppose you could use an undertank heater with something to regulate the heat (thermostat), but really, you don't need a heater at all.

2) I have read i wont need a fogger, is this true?

Misting manually with a spraybottle will suffice.

3) Are normal aquariums O.k, just without the filter and stuff?

A normal aquarium is fine! You'll need a secure glass lid to keep in moisture (and the inhabitants, of course), and be sure to try to close the gaps or you will have fruit flies everywhere. Haven't solved that problem yet, myself, though.

4) Im sorry i know i've posted about pools before, but im really rather confused still... could i use a cardboard egg crate which is sutiable for say 6 eggs? Is that big enough? How do you water proof it?

The "egg crates" you've read about are not the cardboard ones. I don't really know what they are myself, save that they are used for lighting and can, for the most part, be found in the lighting department of most hardware stores. Someone else may have to help in explaining this one.

5) I want to keep E Anthyis, (Santa Isabel) how many could i keep in a tank my size?

You've left out the size of the tank, I'm afraid. Anyway, I can't help you...better ask someone else when you give the tank size.

Hope this helps!

#4 ·
Im not sure you would need a lot of the things you posted. A basic setup can be done with a 10-20-30gal aquarium, and setup very basic. To start out keeping it simple is a good idea.

You may want to read though some of the following:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24449
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

For a very simple tank you could start with a 15gal standard, 2-3 inches of leca in the bottom, covered with Jungle Mix, or other substrate. Then add plants and leaves for cover. Use a full glass lid and seal the edges of the back to keep the ffs and frogs in.

As for tricolors they are a bold and great frog. The only concern I would have with them as a beginner frog is that they are a big smaller and extremely fast. If done right it is not a huge issue but trying to put them in the tank can be tough and or move them if needed.

I hope that helps a bit...

#6 ·
That's a major differance in the hobby across the pond.. tricolor are seen as a begginer frog here and cost very little (5-15 pounds sterling)... this being said you're going to be hard pushed to find anything pure as for many many years a tricolor has been seen as a tricolor and been bred together as just that.

#7 ·
Forgot to mention the tank would be 25" x 13" by 23" (approx 18 gallons). How many of the E Anthyis sant isabel's could i have?

Also, a heater will be necesary as it gets quite cold here in England lol. Would a plastic lid with no gaps be ok? If not i'll have to try an get a glass one i suppose.
I shall probably use a different method for makein a pool, any suggestions?

#8 ·
you wont need additional heating, it get way colder in the US man than it ever does here in the UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.