Dendroboard banner

Hobby Genetics - Highland Sirensis (Lamasi)

9K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  athiker04 
#1 · (Edited)
With all the renewed interest in these frogs, I figured it would be a good idea to trace back where all our frogs originated.

Please feel free to add to this thread if you are currently keeping these frogs. If you used to and sold them off - please direct the new owners here too.

Below is my understanding on the 'lines' in the hobby. I'm sure I'm missing stuff...

First IAD's (1999-2000's)/European Imports
It seems like all the lamasi that appeared at those shows came through the same European source.

Producers of this line:
Chris Miller
Rich Frye
Josh's Frogs
Zach Brinks
Adam Butt?

Tor Linbo Import
An import brought in by Tor early 2000's from Europe

Producers of this line:
Tor Linbo
Zach Brinks

2010ish Holland Import
A private import approximately 4 years ago

Producers of this line:
Julio

2014 Euro Import
Another private import

Producers of this line:
Damian

See less See more
#3 ·
You don't still have those frogs do you?

My understanding was that there were a handful of people in Germany with them who sold/exported through 1-2 others to the US. Larry and my lamasi came through Paul/Ron and were picked up at the show. Samples also started dealing with the same people over there. I've still got offspring from both of those sources in my breeding groups

There's a lot of grey with those first frogs and I'm betting that many of the onesy-twosey imports are gone. Hoping that the thread will shed more light on that time period.

#5 ·
They all came from Europe? That seems odd to me. I was sure I had heard of them coming in legally from Peru in the 90s.

Also, Darren Meyer has been working with these for a long time, but I'm not sure what line.

#7 ·
They all came from Europe? That seems odd to me. I was sure I had heard of them coming in legally from Peru in the 90s.
As far as I've found about what's currently in the hobby, it seems like they all trace back to Euro imports. Though I'm not trying to present my thoughts as gospel, just trying to figure it all out.

The first I saw them on the internet was in the mid-late 90's on the SDS page I think - Bernd Pieper photo credit possibly. First time in person was at IAD when Larry Marshall and I bought ours. They were officially described in '92 so considering past practice, it's likely they started making it into the hobby soon after that or even as ventrimaculatus or quinquevittatus before that.

Also, Darren Meyer has been working with these for a long time, but I'm not sure what line.
Thanks, I'll ask him.

#9 · (Edited)
Nope, although they may have been from Peru via eu. I don't think it would've been as female heavy if they were collected though. They actually did better than most of the rest of the shipment and were all near adult to adult frogs.

It was the shipment me and the tarantula guys from cali did. Can't remember their company name.

Araknoculture

#11 ·
Hmmm. That's interesting. I have a group that descended from 4 lamasi purchased at Frog Day, 2010. The seller (super legit board member) told me they had come from the Czech line and the parents were from Europe. Can I safely assume they are from the Tor Linbo import?

#15 ·
I got a pair in the mid- to late-80's from a German importer directly from Peru. They came in with a bunch of silverstoni. I produced and sold a few offspring before they were killed in a stupid, stupid accident. I can't remember who I sold offspring to or what happened to them. That line probably died out but I don't know.

Best,

Chuck

#16 ·
I got a pair in the mid- to late-80's from a German importer directly from Peru. They came in with a bunch of silverstoni. I produced and sold a few offspring before they were killed in a stupid, stupid accident. I can't remember who I sold offspring to. That line probably died out but I don't know.

Best,

Chuck

#23 ·
I still have a group that descended from 4 lamasi purchased at Frog Day, 2010. All I know is that they had come from the Czech line and the parents were from Europe. I assume that puts them in with the Tor Linbo importation, but I'd love to know more about their origin.

I'm not sure I can say I'm really "working" with them, :) I mostly just leave them alone in a 40g overplanted, humid tank and they make buckets of babies. I've never really gotten a real count on how many are in there, but I see new eggs and babies all the time. I'll have to audit that tank eventually, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Incidentally, most of the eggs I see are actually layed on the vertical glass. There are a few film canisters in there too, but I've never really checked them.

#27 ·
I'm embarrassed to discover after comparing all kinds of conflicting information, that it's much more likely the frogs I have are Orange Panguana Sirensis, and not Highlands. I apologize to those whom I've been in correspondence with.

I knew the breeder and the importation and still had a hell of a time getting an accurate diagnosis. Apologies.

#31 ·
I'd love to get this thread back from the dead. It seems like there are still a fair number of people working with these frogs. I just acquired a group of 3 from the Holland line - I assume 2016. It looks like they may turn out to be all male which I sort of see as a good thing as it will hopefully allow me to find some females to finish out a non sibling breeding group of 5 or 6.

Any particular line that would be seen as better or worse for mixing with these? I assume, as stated above, it would be better for the limited genetics of this species/locale to mix these males with something other than the 2016 Dutch imports.

Also, anyone have experience or opinions on female:male ratios for breeding success.

Thanks for any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.