Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Isla Colon Morph questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobait View Post
Can I inject an uninformed opinion/question?

How much does focus/bias on an island determine whether we decide to mix animals or not? For example-Bastimentos is a well known place and the frogs are very popular so even tiny variations in populations of frogs are noted(that being said-salt creeks are definitely quite different from, say, cemetery bastis). No one seems to mention different populations on Cristobal Island-which IMO show some of the most variability of all the locales. In the case of Bahia Grande cristos they seem just as variable as the rest of them in the hobby-providing they actually were all collected in a small area this would support Cristobal Island having a single, continuous, but highly variable pop. Also, very similar looking frogs could be very different genetically, and vise versa.

Genetic drift could explain visual differences between lines we have in the hobby. Also, knowing nothing about the islands the terrain of the island would determine how interconnected the populations are. An island with only isolated pockets of suitable habitat is going to have more of a case for keeping populations separate.
I agree Cristobal has tremendous variety but that variety occurs at most locales, or it exists within that population. Colons however seem to have some different colors common to certain locales and reproduce consistently colored offspring. I have no doubt that genetically the same species of frog on an island is identical but color variations that exist in different geographies on that island in my opinion should be kept separate from each other based on the locality data we are given. Marketing?? honestly if you want to call managing our frogs as well as we can marketing so be it, but I for one will keep them separate and recommend others to do so as well.