Originally Posted by MonopolyBag
Could you further explain what products were used and how you made this stump?
I'll give my best shot:
The basic structure is made of electrical pvc pipes, taken from he trash of a construction site...
They were bent to the form using a hot air gun ('s that the name of the tool?). I had a water spray on hand while bending the pipes to cool them a bit faster after heating & bending.
The pipes were glued together using hot glue gun (again, 's that the name?) with plastic glue
sticks. I used water to cool the glue, too.
After the whole stump was glued together i used a corner grinder to make some grooves to the "branches" and opened them up with hot air to form small pockets for tillanzias. In the picture there's one of these barely to be seen on the top.
I regret not taking any photos of this phase.
The surface of the pipes was then sanded to break the smoothness a bit.
Next, the whole thing was brushed with a layer of tile fastening plaster (the "rapid", or quickhardening kind). On top of that i brushed a couple of layers of tile grout, mixed with an acrylic copolymere named Acryl 60. I believe any concrete emulsion does the same trick, makes it stick better and hardens the outcome.
I think I could have been a bit bolder with the colors, this one was mostly made with gray tones.
To me, one of the most important things is to treat the surface of the cement-based tile grout at the right moment while it hardens
. I used a paint brush and a brass wire brush to make the surface look like this:
After the final layers of tle grout I kept the thing wet for a week to make sure the cement doesn't dry out but really hardens.
This was my first effort on making tree lookalikes with these materials. The next time I will try and mix in some organic matter with the cement.