Dendroboard - View Single Post - Morph time for pumilios?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Morph time for pumilios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart_Man View Post
Back to the original question, Its sounding like it is approx 2 months till OOW?? Anyone have a different opinion? I did have 2 weeks from clutch to tad. If this is all true for the time frames, then my first clutch must have not made it unfortunately, as that was nearly 5 months ago and still no sign of froglets

I also dont really notice any real sign of feeder eggs in the water.... should I be able to see them? And how often do they feed them generally?
Yeah 2 months is about what I have noticed with the pumilio. By 5 months unfortunately it definitely sounds like they didn't make it unfortunately, unless you have a very densely planted tank and somehow haven't seen the froglets yet. I usually think they are surprisingly easy to spot at least 1 when they are froglets because I often see them in open places, like right on bromeliad leaves or in the open leaf litter. If you are busy or have lots of tanks to feed, I can see how it would be easy to pass by and not notice froglets though.

Just because you don't see feeder eggs doesn't mean they aren't being fed. I've seen them sometimes, but not others. The females certainly don't feed tadpoles multiple times a day, I think more like 1-3 times per week.

Don't get discouraged, it's a little frustrating sometimes but seeing a tiny pumilio (especially finding several unexpected froglets) is one of the best parts of the hobby for me. Just make sure they have good deposition spots with water in them that don't get rotted or dried up, feed and supplement the parents well, and you should have success soon.

Also, when you say you see a big tadpole, it might be close. If it has both front and back legs, it should be very, very close (within a week or so) of leaving the water. By then it should start to take on some color.

Bryan