Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Fresh Import RFB Basti's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy S View Post
can you share your protocol for your treatment for the Chytrid/Batryl treatment--duration, method, etc. I can understand the implications for recommendations to others...but know what YOU do seems to be okay....especially in light of recent threads about the issue of compromised frogs...thanks if possible to share...
The Batryl is a syringe I get from a friend in the import business, after losing frogs during 1 import he ID'd a bacterial infection and with the use of Batryl actually saved the remainder of the frogs, I don't know the solution strength but I am sure it is a mix of Batryl and water but I put 1 drop on the back of the frog per day (which usually turns into 2 - 3 drops) for 6 to 7 days. As for the Chytrid I dissolve 2 different antifungal meds into warm water and bathe the frog for about a minute, totally submerging 3 or 4 times during that minute....this is a rough treatment for the frogs as near the end of the bath they become very unresponsive and I have actually had 1 animal die at the end of a treatment. I do this 2 times 3 to 4 days apart.
I don't advocate anyone use my methods, unscientific and unproven but they just happen to work for me. For me the best thing you can do with frogs is observe them, if not acting normal act, if acting normal keep observing. I do a Chytrid treatment on all frogs due to the fact they can act normal up to a day or 2 before they die and from what I hear they can carry it now without dying. Antibacterial I would only use on frogs not acting normal as the meds knock out the good bacteria with the bad
I certainly suggest people get their frogs tested and then if need be treated by a vet, hopefully treatment is not necessary, that's what we all hope for when receiving frogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to markpulawski For This Useful Post:
Judy S (12-31-2013)