Dendroboard - View Single Post - Picking up Viv. selecting a frog and some other Q.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgreen
I was quite shure that glass or something is need to keep humidity high, but still i don't know how (where) do i put lights? and ventilators (and how many and why at all )?
You'll have to experiment with covering the top up and it will all depend on the area where you live and how much humidity you have naturally. I only use one piece of glass on top during the winter and I leave the other panel of screening not covered with glass. The heat we have in our house is very dry so I need to slow the evaporation rate down. In the summer we have very humid weather and our temps reach in the 90-degrees F at times, so I remove all of the glass to release heat build up from the lights. What ever you cover your top with (i.e. glass, celaphane, etc..) make sure you can remove it to make adjustments, things change througout the year.

As far as the lights go, depending on what type you use and how much heat they throw off you just lay them on top or hang them so they are 2"-3" above the top of the viv so they can breath. I mainly use the dome shaped lights with a screw fluorescent bulb:

You've find others around here that use other types of lights.

As for ventiating, I do not use any fans on my Exo Terra and I've never had any problems with fogging up or condensation. Again, get it set up, place some sort of covering over the top or part of the top and let it go for a day or two. Then take some reading of tempertures amd humidity and make adjustments.

All the Best!