Dendroboard - View Single Post - Getting back into things... Planning a new vivarium with scorpions then frogs?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Getting back into things... Planning a new vivarium with scorpions then frogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialmias View Post
Thanks for the reply. Also yes a lot of the builds I've seen seem to exclude external pumps, it was hard for me to find build journals that used external ones.
I may be wrong but I would take a stab and say that's because many people are concerned about drilling holes in their tanks. At this stage (I think I'm about 8 tank builds in at this point?) I would never have a tank that wasn't drilled. Once the drilling is done using an external pump is the only way to go for a water feature.

Quote:
As far as temps go it would likely be drops of 60F ambient for 24 hours usually. That's how long it takes maintenance to get things going again when they break here.
I don't think that would be an issue if it were resolved in that short of time.

Quote:
Typically when I'm called out I go 3-4 days without being here.
In a well established tank with lots of microfauna, well fed adult frogs probably wouldn't have a problem going with FF for that duration. You'd just want to feed heavily right before leaving and right when you get home. The key is to have a tank that's got well established bugs so that the frogs can forage when their fast food (the abbreviation FF still works!) isn't readily available.

Quote:
Honestly after doing some more reading and reading you reply I may scrap any dart frogs for this enclosure and save it for the next one.
Probably a wise decision.