Dendroboard - View Single Post - Getting back into things... Planning a new vivarium with scorpions then frogs?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Getting back into things... Planning a new vivarium with scorpions then frogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialmias View Post
1)I've seen a lot of mention of you guys gluing cocofiber to things but no one seems to mention what they're using to do that? I'm curious if it's just a matter of laying down a layer of say good stuff and then letting it cure and smearing a layer of silicone and powdering it with it. Or are you folks actually using a glue in these tanks?
There are a variety of methods but it seems that the most popular is to use GE I silicone for that purpose. My own personal preference is to use the black pond foam version of great stuff and simply press cork flats into that. Then I use tinted Drylok to cover the areas where the foam expands. It's faster, easier, and IMO looks better as well.

Quote:
2)What's with the lack of external pumps? Are the external solutions really that bad? Is an external filtration system with activated carbon going to hurt any potential future frogs?
There's a lack? I wasn't aware.

Quote:
3)Is a water heater in the tank a viable way to keep temperatures up? Or do most folks rely on a heat bulb/heat mat on the side of the tank?
Most tanks are kept in human-comfortable temperature zones so there's little need to add heat. It's more common that they are too hot, in fact! If the tank is kept in a 70 degree heated room by the time you add a glass top and some lights you've got an easy 75-79 degrees inside.

Quote:
4) Back in my day I ordered a nice set of plants from Black Jungle. Now I see a lot of you guys ordering from Josh's and I also noticed the addition of magnolia leaves to most terrariums now? Black Jungle still seems to exclude it from their start kits.
Leaf litter is important, yes. It provides excellent hiding spots for frogs as well as nutritional material for bugs.

Quote:
5)Now I've got that itch to try and start another tank with auratus after my catastrophic accident years ago but I don't know how many could actually fit in that much floor space.
One, maybe. 12x12 isn't very large, especially if you're going to eat away some of the space with a stream. (I would highly recommend against it, in fact.)

Quote:
Also I am concerned about temperature drops in my apartment in the winter due to a not so great heating system and me not being able to feed them if I am called out for work for an extended period.
More information is needed. How low of temperature drops? How extended of a time could you be called out? Most dart owners don't feed daily so unless you're speaking of multi-day absence it probably wouldn't be an issue.