You know those photos that are black and white, but then they have one thing popping out with color? That is what I am going to do with this build.
Take this photo as an example, except change the umbrella for a nice bright dart frog!
Everything in the vivarium will be a shade of black/gray/white. I am going to try hard to have very little green or any other color as much as possible. Here is some info on what I am going to make
1. The viv will be a 24x24x24 cube
2. European style sliding doors in the front
3. Sherman Vent in the front http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ntilation.html
4. It will have fake rock moutain type structures (made out of greatstuff, and drylock) that will be painted black with white brushed over the top
5. There will be a cave in one of the hills that will reveal some geode with white quartz in it
6. There will be a river running down between the two hills to the front where the entire front portion will be in water.
7. Here is a list of some of the plants I am looking at that seem to be blackish/whitish. If anyone has any of these I would love to know just how gray/black they are:
Platís Black Brass Button (black fern ground cover)
Black Mondo Grass
Black fancy begonia
Silver lace fern?
Victorian brake fern
Seleginella (frosty fern)
Cryptanthus 'Black Mystic'
Pilea Pubescens (silver cloud)
8. I would love to get this black brom, but dont feel like paying over $200 australian dollars to get it
9. The ground cover will not be leaf litter, but will be small strips of white birsh or aspen. I know it breaks down quicker but I am willing to replace more often to get this look. If anyone knows is birch or aspen would be better I would love to know
10. Underneath the tank in the false bottom (actually in the mountain/hills made out of great stuff) there will be a water proof clear box where I am going to place lights. These lights will have windows to a few places in the viv. One of the places is the cave so the light will shine on the quartz. Another place is the river. The river will have a clear plastic bottom (covered by rocks) so if a red light is shined under it, there will almost be the look of lava.
11. There will be a few pieces of branching wood that will be pitch black color
12. The frogs will ideally be the only color in the entire tank (except when I have the red light on for fun)
13. Right now the frogs I am leaning towards that I think would look the best with this winter/black and white tank is the Red galacts. I think they be awesome in this style viv.
14. Depending on how much I enjoy this I will make a viv for the other 3 seasons as well (spring, summer, fall)
I am going to be getting the glass in next week to begin, so I am still open to any suggestions and ideas anyone may have for my black and white viv. Thanks