Dendroboard banner

The Burnt Stump

44K views 79 replies 50 participants last post by  rigel10 
#1 · (Edited)
A number of years ago I found a large burnt stump piece of driftwood. I kept it in the flowerbed in hopes of using it once I garner the energy to construct a tank large enough for it to go in. I ended up finally getting a 90-gallon tank from a friend who was using it for saltwater fish.

After cleaning:

Construction materials:

Plants were all from local nurseries

Used the rope/silicone/coco fiber method to create some vines. Really liked the technique and how the vines turned out. Hopefully they hold up.

Full tank shot, freshly planted

Close up of burnt stump

I installed a misting system within the tank using access in the corner. No drilling needed.

Some specs:
-Background is great stuff/silicone/tree fern and coco
-Tank is self draining once water gets to a certain level it travels through a tube into a bucket below the tank, within the stand
-Light is a high output T5. Very impressed with initial growth
-Custom lid with glass cut from Lowe's and siliconed piano hinges. Very simple, cheap, and efficient.
-No fan, but I did modify a Mag-Float by siliconing the scrubbing side. Works ok.

Likely will house 3 or 4 Bakuis tincs.
Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#17 ·
I was just told about this and had to search it out. To quote someone else..."It's Badass!":D. Love it!

Your beautiful viv and Grimm's joke, just ended the evening very well! Got that nasty taste out of my mouth after reading the horrible train wreck of a thread about the vent colony setup:eek:.

Thanks for sharing. Perfect stump well done! I'd love to find something like that for a 65g hex I hope to be working on later this year.

-Chris

#23 ·
:eek:Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. That's all that needs to be said.

BUT, I'll say more.:D I truly love the tank and the stump fits perfectly! The plants look superb as well. Keep us updated on the bakhuis group too, I would really like hear how they like the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.