Few questions about red eye tree frogs - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Few questions about red eye tree frogs

Just found a good deal at Petco for some RETFs, so I was considering getting some. Habitat is pretty much set up for them already, I just have to tweak a few things depending on what answers I get here. Vivarium is a 25 gallon tank, has live plants, and a waterfall

So, first one: what humidity should these guys have? I've seen conflicting numbers on the internet all over the place. Some say 80-100%, others say don't ever go above 80, some say to keep them at 30-50% when not in breeding season... so what would you guys recommend? I know there's some breeders on here that can probably give me a better answer than google

How many can I comfortably fit in a 25 gallon tank? I'm not trying squeeze as many in as I can, but I think having more than 1 would be cool. Which leads to the next question...

I attempted to sex the ones in the tank at petco, but couldn't really tell a difference in nose shape at all. Is there any better way to tell? Also, will it mater if I have different amounts of, or exclusively, males or females? Some of the frogs were already a good 2" in length or so, I'm assuming they're relatively older.

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for helping out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 AM

Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSchein89 View Post
Just found a good deal at Petco for some RETFs, so I was considering getting some. Habitat is pretty much set up for them already, I just have to tweak a few things depending on what answers I get here. Vivarium is a 25 gallon tank, has live plants, and a waterfall

So, first one: what humidity should these guys have? I've seen conflicting numbers on the internet all over the place. Some say 80-100%, others say don't ever go above 80, some say to keep them at 30-50% when not in breeding season... so what would you guys recommend? I know there's some breeders on here that can probably give me a better answer than google
I don't use hygrometers, I just eyeball the moisture in the tank. I keep mine fairly dry most of the year, probably around 50% RH, then mist more heavily to raise the humidity when I want to bring them into breeding condition,

Quote:
How many can I comfortably fit in a 25 gallon tank? I'm not trying squeeze as many in as I can, but I think having more than 1 would be cool. Which leads to the next question...
I would be comfortable with 4-6 in that tank.

Quote:
I attempted to sex the ones in the tank at petco, but couldn't really tell a difference in nose shape at all. Is there any better way to tell? Also, will it mater if I have different amounts of, or exclusively, males or females? Some of the frogs were already a good 2" in length or so, I'm assuming they're relatively older.
They are pretty easy to sex by size when fully mature, females are significantly larger than males. The ones I saw today at my local Petco were subadults, not quite developed enough to sex with absolute certainty. The nose trick can be useful, males tend to have a more sloped snout while females are more truncate, but it is not 100% reliable and can be hard to see in juveniles. As for whether sex ratios matter, I would say yes and no. They tend to breed more readily in male-heavy groups, but are not territorial in the way that darts are. There is no risk of serious conflict with red eyes, but males will sometimes wrestle a bit to secure the best perches for calling.

Here is an amplexing pair to show the size difference:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM

I read somewhere that you need about 12,000 cubic centimeters per frog, and your tank is approx 94,000 cc. (approx 8 frogs) I personally think that is pretty heavy load unless you have optimal conditions, and would probably go no more than 5.

We just got our first Red Eyes a few days ago and they are absolutely amazing creatures. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 AM

I think 3 in the tank sounds like a good number if I can comfortably fit more. I'm going to have to rip off the glass top and throw on a screen to drop the humidity that low, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Screen top shouldn't cost more than $10 or so. On top of $52 for 3 frogs after discount and tax, that's not such a bad investment.

I'll attempt to get 2 females and a male as best as I can sex them. Should I still be upping humidity during breeding season even if I don't wind up with any breeding pairs or all one sex? And if so, when should I start and for how long would that be?

Thanks for the help thus far, I think that'll about do me. I'll post up some pictures when they're all set up
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

I just got my frogs today so I'll join in on this thread. I have a male and a female as far as I can tell.

The male.

The female.

The male again.

FTS.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM

I hope Petco gave you some kind of guarantee on them. I never buy animals from them. I have never seen anything healthy in their store around where I live. Good luck with them!!! I have several of them and they are easy to care for when they are healthy.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
TWI/ASN

Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSchein89 View Post
I think 3 in the tank sounds like a good number if I can comfortably fit more. I'm going to have to rip off the glass top and throw on a screen to drop the humidity that low, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Screen top shouldn't cost more than $10 or so. On top of $52 for 3 frogs after discount and tax, that's not such a bad investment.

I'll attempt to get 2 females and a male as best as I can sex them. Should I still be upping humidity during breeding season even if I don't wind up with any breeding pairs or all one sex? And if so, when should I start and for how long would that be?

Thanks for the help thus far, I think that'll about do me. I'll post up some pictures when they're all set up
Multiple male choruses work much better if you are attempting to breed them.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM

For breeding I have 2-3 males per female. Thats usually works for me with them.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Sponsor

You need 2-3 males per a female. The Petco deal was not bad $19.99 each but they are WC and need to be treated.