Few questions about red eye tree frogs - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise


facebook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Few questions about red eye tree frogs

Just found a good deal at Petco for some RETFs, so I was considering getting some. Habitat is pretty much set up for them already, I just have to tweak a few things depending on what answers I get here. Vivarium is a 25 gallon tank, has live plants, and a waterfall

So, first one: what humidity should these guys have? I've seen conflicting numbers on the internet all over the place. Some say 80-100%, others say don't ever go above 80, some say to keep them at 30-50% when not in breeding season... so what would you guys recommend? I know there's some breeders on here that can probably give me a better answer than google

How many can I comfortably fit in a 25 gallon tank? I'm not trying squeeze as many in as I can, but I think having more than 1 would be cool. Which leads to the next question...

I attempted to sex the ones in the tank at petco, but couldn't really tell a difference in nose shape at all. Is there any better way to tell? Also, will it mater if I have different amounts of, or exclusively, males or females? Some of the frogs were already a good 2" in length or so, I'm assuming they're relatively older.

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for helping out
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,309
Thanks: 200
Thanked 115 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSchein89 View Post
Just found a good deal at Petco for some RETFs, so I was considering getting some. Habitat is pretty much set up for them already, I just have to tweak a few things depending on what answers I get here. Vivarium is a 25 gallon tank, has live plants, and a waterfall

So, first one: what humidity should these guys have? I've seen conflicting numbers on the internet all over the place. Some say 80-100%, others say don't ever go above 80, some say to keep them at 30-50% when not in breeding season... so what would you guys recommend? I know there's some breeders on here that can probably give me a better answer than google
I don't use hygrometers, I just eyeball the moisture in the tank. I keep mine fairly dry most of the year, probably around 50% RH, then mist more heavily to raise the humidity when I want to bring them into breeding condition,

Quote:
How many can I comfortably fit in a 25 gallon tank? I'm not trying squeeze as many in as I can, but I think having more than 1 would be cool. Which leads to the next question...
I would be comfortable with 4-6 in that tank.

Quote:
I attempted to sex the ones in the tank at petco, but couldn't really tell a difference in nose shape at all. Is there any better way to tell? Also, will it mater if I have different amounts of, or exclusively, males or females? Some of the frogs were already a good 2" in length or so, I'm assuming they're relatively older.
They are pretty easy to sex by size when fully mature, females are significantly larger than males. The ones I saw today at my local Petco were subadults, not quite developed enough to sex with absolute certainty. The nose trick can be useful, males tend to have a more sloped snout while females are more truncate, but it is not 100% reliable and can be hard to see in juveniles. As for whether sex ratios matter, I would say yes and no. They tend to breed more readily in male-heavy groups, but are not territorial in the way that darts are. There is no risk of serious conflict with red eyes, but males will sometimes wrestle a bit to secure the best perches for calling.

Here is an amplexing pair to show the size difference:

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

I read somewhere that you need about 12,000 cubic centimeters per frog, and your tank is approx 94,000 cc. (approx 8 frogs) I personally think that is pretty heavy load unless you have optimal conditions, and would probably go no more than 5.

We just got our first Red Eyes a few days ago and they are absolutely amazing creatures. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

I think 3 in the tank sounds like a good number if I can comfortably fit more. I'm going to have to rip off the glass top and throw on a screen to drop the humidity that low, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Screen top shouldn't cost more than $10 or so. On top of $52 for 3 frogs after discount and tax, that's not such a bad investment.

I'll attempt to get 2 females and a male as best as I can sex them. Should I still be upping humidity during breeding season even if I don't wind up with any breeding pairs or all one sex? And if so, when should I start and for how long would that be?

Thanks for the help thus far, I think that'll about do me. I'll post up some pictures when they're all set up
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
iRyan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 104
Thanks: 9
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

I just got my frogs today so I'll join in on this thread. I have a male and a female as far as I can tell.

The male.
Click the image to open in full size.

The female.
Click the image to open in full size.


The male again.
Click the image to open in full size.

FTS.
Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
rob65's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Roscommon Michigan
Posts: 128
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

I hope Petco gave you some kind of guarantee on them. I never buy animals from them. I have never seen anything healthy in their store around where I live. Good luck with them!!! I have several of them and they are easy to care for when they are healthy.
__________________
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Ed Ed is offline
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 17,606
Thanks: 308
Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,435 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSchein89 View Post
I think 3 in the tank sounds like a good number if I can comfortably fit more. I'm going to have to rip off the glass top and throw on a screen to drop the humidity that low, but it shouldn't be much of a problem. Screen top shouldn't cost more than $10 or so. On top of $52 for 3 frogs after discount and tax, that's not such a bad investment.

I'll attempt to get 2 females and a male as best as I can sex them. Should I still be upping humidity during breeding season even if I don't wind up with any breeding pairs or all one sex? And if so, when should I start and for how long would that be?

Thanks for the help thus far, I think that'll about do me. I'll post up some pictures when they're all set up
Multiple male choruses work much better if you are attempting to breed them.
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
rob65's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Roscommon Michigan
Posts: 128
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

For breeding I have 2-3 males per female. Thats usually works for me with them.
__________________
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
JJuchems's Avatar
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,160
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 59
Thanked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Few questions about red eye tree frogs

You need 2-3 males per a female. The Petco deal was not bad $19.99 each but they are WC and need to be treated.
__________________
Happy Frogging,
Jason
Facebook: Poisonfrogs.net
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tree frog questions frogboy Tree frogs 11 01-10-2011 09:48 PM
Mossy Tree Frogs, Cinnamon Tree Frogs, and Red Eye Tree Frogs Taron Other Classifieds 2 05-22-2010 04:46 AM
Milk Frogs, Red Eyes, Tiger Leg Monkey Tree Frogs, and South American Bird Poop Frogs joshsfrogs Other Classifieds 0 05-17-2010 01:47 AM
Questions on tree fern panel CrotalusCo Member's Frogs & Vivariums 6 12-07-2007 03:56 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2004-2008, Dendroboard. Copyright Abuse Policy & Safe Harbor Reporting

Get Firefox! Fauna Top Sites Dendroboard Twitter